Frequently Asked Questions


Are there many vegan, vegetarian, Kosher, Halal, gluten free options available?

Hospitality Services’ food selection and quality are exceptional, and you’ll appreciate the friendly, helpful Hospitality Service staff. 
You’ll find a wide variety of meal options available throughout campus. Hospitality ensures plenty of options and variety for Kosher, Halal, vegan, and gluten-free diets.  
These options will be clearly labelled online and in the dining halls. If you’re unsure, you can always ask the Hospitality Services staff or email the Student Nutrition Awareness Program at to get help navigating the menus based on your dietary needs.

Please explain the Basic vs. Flex dollars

BASIC - used for all food purchases in Hospitality Locations including Gryph’s on-campus full-service restaurant. These purchases are HST exempt when applicable. When you spend your BASIC FOOD DOLLARS on campus, you contribute directly to the fixed overhead cost of maintaining our student dining facilities. We return the fixed overhead cost to you at the register via a 30% Discount. 

FLEX - used for vending machines, food purchases in the Brass Taps, Bullring and Eastside Café & Grocery, grocery items, health and beauty products, dining at off-campus restaurants, delivery orders and Taxi Service. These purchases are taxable. 
 You can learn more about our various meal plans on our meal plans website page. 

What if I am in a residence without a dining hall in it (eg. Johnston), where can I go?

You’re more than welcome to eat at the different dining facilities across the University of Guelph campus.

There are 20 different dining facilities conveniently located on campus. In fact, we recommend trying out all the dining facilities to try out the various food selections.

Here you can find a list of our on-campus dining facilities and an interactive map of our facilities. 

What on-campus hospitality services are available on the weekend and are they open during the holidays?

Generally, the dining halls located in residences stay open on weekends, such as Lennox Addington. We recommend checking out our social media accounts to find the latest and most up-to-date information on the hours of operations. We will always post in advance what dining halls will be open during holidays.  
You can find Hospitality Services on Instagram or Twitter at @HospitalityUofG or Facebook at Hospitality Services University of Guelph.

Who do I contact if I have an allergy?

Our Student Nutrition Awareness Program team can answer all your questions relating to eating healthy eating on campus. SNAP’s goals are to encourage students to develop positive eating habits and promote healthier food choices.  

They also work to help students with allergies or dietary requirements navigate eating on campus. You can contact them through social media at @SNAPUofGuelph or by emailing the program coordinator at

They'll be able to provide you with some advice for navigating the dining halls, set up dining hall tours with the managers to make sure you know what is safe for you to eat, and send over a food allergy form for you to complete. This form will be sent to all the managers and posted in the dining halls so the staff are aware of your allergies. Hospitality Services takes allergies and intolerances very seriously and will work together with you to make sure you have food to eat.